Tuesday, February 12, 2013
Try a New Recipe Tuesday~Crockpot Greek Yogurt
I love this Greek yogurt-so easy and yummy! I make it all the time. You just have to plan when you start making it in the afternoon (approx 6 hours before you are going to bed), so that it is ready to sit overnight when you are ready to go to bed. Can also be used as sour cream.
Crock pot Greek Yogurt
makes about 4 cups
*8 cups (half gallon) of whole, 1%, 2%, or skim pasteurized mild, but do not use ultra-pasteurized
*1/2 cup store-bought natural plain or Greek unflavored yogurt. (Once you have made your own, you can set 1/2 cup aside as a starter
*You can also double this recipe and use 1 gallon of milk and 1 cup of yogurt starter, just heat the milk for 3 hours instead of 2 1/2 on step 2. The rest of the steps stay the same.
*4 quart or larger crock pot
*Paper towels or cheese cloth (I use paper towels)
*Containers to put yogurt in
*thick bath towel
1. Make your yogurt on a day you are home to monitor.
2. Plug in your crock pot and turn to low. Add a half gallon of milk. Cover and cook on low for 2 1/2 hours.
3. Unplug your crock pot. Leave the cover on, and let it sit for 3 hours.
4. When 3 hours have passed, scoop out 2 cups of the warm milk and put it in a bowl. Whisk in 1/2 cup of yogurt. Then dump the bowl contents back into the crock pot. Whisk to combine.
5. Put the lid back on your crock pot. Keep it unplugged, and wrap a heavy bath towel all the way around the crock pot for insulation.
6. Let sit for 8 hours or overnight.
7. In morning, should be yogurt consistency.
8. Place cheesecloth, paper towels, or coffee filters into a colander and ladle the yogurt into it. Place colander into the sink or a big bowl to catch liquid.
9. Let sit 1 hour or until creamy and thick.
10. Chill in plastic container. Save 1/2 cup as a starter to make next batch.
Now go check out all of this week's new recipes!!