icRKphJXQm-ezth8lntKydifkDg The Loose Screw: New Laundry Detergent Recipe

Friday, July 6, 2012

New Laundry Detergent Recipe



I've been making my own liquid laundry detergent for about three years now-it is such a great money saver!  Click here for my original recipe, which I still think is great!  Recently, I came across a powdered detergent that includes OxiClean and fabric softener, and is safe for HE machines.  I found the recipe at Howdoesshe.  I've been using it a few months now, and really like it!  The photo above shows all of the ingredients (no, that's not pink cheese-its shredded Zote soap!).

1 (4lb. 12oz) Box of Borax-found in detergent aisle
1 (3lb. 7oz.) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda-found in detergent aisle
1 (3lb.) Container of Oxiclean-found in detergent aisle (this is optional)
2 (14.1 oz.) Bars of Zote soap-found in detergent aisle (you can also use Fels Naptha
2 (2 lb.) Boxes of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda-found in cooking aisle
1 to 2 (55oz.) Bottles of Purex Crystals Fabric Softener-found in detergent aisle (this is optional, use more for a stronger scent)

Grate the Zote soap.
Mix all the ingredients (I used a bucket)
May put in any container to dispense-the empty Purex crystals container works great!
Use only 1-2 Tablespoons per load!! Put directly in drum of washer for HE machines.
The finished product-isn't it pretty?? It smells great, and I love that the whitener and softener are included!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I've been using this for a couple months too. I had coupons for the Purex, which made it even better. I love the smell of it. I found that the soap doesn't grate very small, so I buzzed it in my food processor once I had it all mixed together to make it more powder like.

Anonymous said...

I have made my own liquid and powder for about 3 years now, I used OxiClean one time,and did not care too much for it,and I dont add baking soda

Barbara said...

Athena, hi! I've definitely bookmarked the recipe to make one of these days! I do a lot of laundry for 3 people (hubs, son and me), and our four birds, so it might help on saving money!!