icRKphJXQm-ezth8lntKydifkDg The Loose Screw: Try a New Recipe Tuesday~DIY Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Try a New Recipe Tuesday~DIY Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs


With Easter coming up fast, I thought I'd share one of my Easter favorites! I originally found this recipe on Tip Junkie and posted about it in 2011.  Back then I just posted a link, so this time I'll treat you to the full recipe :)

My family loves Reese's Peanut Butter Cup eggs, and although these aren't exactly the same, they are pretty darn close.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Eggs
4 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 to 3 Tablespoons milk
3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 Tablespoon shortening

*Mix together the powdered sugar, peanut butter, and butter.  Add the mild one tablespoon at a time until it becomes a nice, workable dough.  It will be just like play dough, really easy to work with.
*Form the dough into egg shapes, and place in the freezer for about an hour.
*Place the chocolate chips and shortening into a glass measuring cup.  Microwave 1 minute at a time, stirring in between until completely melted.  (You can also use a double boiler if you prefer)
*Dip each egg in the melted chocolate and place on waxed paper until set.  (In the recipe they suggest using a skewer and then sliding the dipped egg off and covering the hole with chocolate.)
*Once they are set you can trim any excess chocolate off that may pool at the base with a pairing knife to make them look pretty.  You could also decorate with icing.

Now I'm off to find some more yummy recipes at this week's link-up:

2 comments:

Susan Evans said...

I bet those are delicious! I love Reece's Peanut Butter cups, and these would be way less expensive to eat.

Lisa Boyle said...

These look so awesome! I can't wait to try them with my family. :-) Thanks so much for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday!" This recipe is going to be featured next week! :-) :-) Congratulations. Be sure to come by and grab an "I've been Featured" button. The post should go live around 11pm Eastern time on Monday. Have a great weekend. Many blessings, Lisa